Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Pressures of School

In the story It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, the main character, Craig, suffers from depression. In middle school, Craig is one of the smartest kids in school. After getting into his dream school, Executive Pre-Proffessional High School,  he realizes he's not as amazing as all the other kids. The pressures of the school get so hard that eventually he almost tries to kill himself. This action causes himself to be checked into a mental hospital, where he can finally take the time to think about where all the stress is coming from. I think that the pressures of school got so great, and that was the reason Craig tried to kill himself.

I think that the pressures of school got so great, and that is what drove Craig to try to kill himself. For example, Craig was always talking about how much homework he had, and how much work. He would say that he would go home, do homework, study, try to eat, and then try to sleep. Also, a problem was that the teachers weren't being very supportive. Craig got an eighty five on a test. Instead, of the teacher trying to help him, the teacher put a frowny face on the test. I think that if maybe the teachers had instead of criticizing Craig, they had supported and helped him, maybe he wouldn't have tried to kill himself.

Another pressure of school, was peer pressure. For example, all his friends were smoking pot. So, Craig started smoking it. I think that if he hadn't been pressured into smoking, he wouldn't have started smoking pot in the first place. Also, maybe not smoking the marijuana, Craig wouldn't have been so seriously depressed. He was also jealous of his best friend because he was dating the girl Craig liked, Nia. Obviously, you can't expect Craig's best friend to stop dating Nia, to stop Craig from being so depressed, but the jealousy was probably a key factor in trying to kill himself.

Personally, I can relate to the pressures of school. I can relate to having lots of homework, cramming for a test, etc. In the past, I have had teachers that I felt like they chastised and criticized  me, instead of tried to help me do bet. Or worse, I felt like they just ignored me. I can also relate to peer pressure. In the past I have felt like I've had to look or act a certain way to fit in. This is similar to the way Craig felt like he had to smoke pot in order to fit in. Of course, none of these pressures have ever been so great that I'd think about killing himself. But, for someone who is depressed, I can understand how these pressure may drive yourself to think these thoughts.

In conclusion, that is why I think Craig tried to kill himself. The pressures of school got to hard for him, and that's what drove him to almost kill himself. I can personally relate to pressures from teachers and peers. I think that if Craig hadn't felt this stress, he wouldn't have tried to kill himself. But, at least he when he was checked into the hospital, he was able to get the help he needed and find the source of his stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment