Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ways To Define Love

In Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, there are many themes in the story. One of the biggest themes is love. Shakespeare portrays his opinions about love through the characters in the play. Different characters have different opinions about what love is. I think that many people can relate to at least one of the characters in the book and their point of view on what love means.

One character who has a very strong opinion about love is Romeo. Romeo thinks that love is something that should be taken very seriously. He is basically a hopeless romantic. Until he meets Juliet, all he does is mope about and act depressed because Rosalind doesn't love him. He acts as though love is beautiful but has many hardships. I think that a lot of people can relate to Romeo. There are plenty of "hopeless romantics" out there, who could understand Romeo's desperation for love.

Another character who has a very strong opinion about love is Romeo's friend, Mercutio. Mercutio is like the opposite of Romeo. He thinks that love is all fun and games. He often advises Romeo to loosen up and to have more fun. After all, he is the one who convinces Romeo to go to the Capulet's party. I think that a lot of people are like Mercutio, too. Many people can relate, too wanting to have fun and party. To not worry about things and just have a good time.

Paris is also a character with a strong opinion of what love is. He seems to think that it's all the responsibility that comes along with love. It's getting married, having children, living in a big house. The "love" part of it doesn't seem that important to Paris. Personally, I find it harder to relate to this, I think that love is more than just the stuff that comes with it. However, I can see how some people can think that you can't be in love unless you are ready for the responsibility that comes along.

In conclusion, Shakespeare wrote these characters to portray the different ways he portrays love. Romeo portrays the "hopeless romantic." Mercutio portrays the "party kind of person." And Paris portray the person who thinks love comes along with responsibility. I think there are many other characters who portray different definitions of what love means as well. I also think that people can relate to the different opinions that the characters in Romeo and Juliet have about love.

No comments:

Post a Comment